Snake challenge Fri 31st Oct

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Snake challenge Fri 31st Oct

Post by Going Underground »

Apologies to Richie G, we are going to keep the R15 challenges to 1/4 yearly Saturdays so this will now be a "Snake"

Hopefully Richie can still make it on the 31st as well as the next R15 in Dec. and a couple of others have shown an interest, there should be 4 of the Brown clan so we should have a few teams to compete in the Rally format.... :D

Starting station and map details to be confirmed once our Guru's have figured out the maximum number of stations..... :?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Re: Snake challenge Fri 31st Oct

Post by RichieG »

No need to apologise...

Quick question though - could the rules of a Snake Challenge possibly be defined?

(as a semi-related aside, would it be possible and/or a good idea to have somewhere on this site defining the rules of the alternative challenges?)

EDIT TO AVOID DOUBLE-POST: Actually after a bit of digging I've seem to have found the basic theme of it... (though the parenthesised comment above still holds!) can I be rude and possibly request that we start east of the city and head westwards as that's where I'll be staying :p (friend lives down the road a bit from Upton Park...)
Last edited by RichieG on 12 Oct 2008, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

scrxisi wrote:I still only have 122 :S
What is your start and finish station?
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Here is the route I have with 125.
Epping - Woodford -Stratford (via Hainault Loop) - London Bridge - Elephant & castle - Waterloo - Stockwell - Victoria - Mile End - Holborn - Kings Cross - Baker Street - Wembley Park - Rayners Lane - Ealing Common - Ealing Broadway - Oxford Circus - Warren Street - Charing Cross - Piccailly Circus - Earls Court - Acton Town - Heathrow T1,2,3 (Via T4) - Heathrow T5.
One day I shall return!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

My route is Epping - Heathrow. Anthony's route is similar to mine, but with the Z1 section rejigged a bit.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

RichieG wrote: can I be rude and possibly request that we start east of the city and head westwards as that's where I'll be staying :p (friend lives down the road a bit from Upton Park...)
Sure looks like it may be Epping and that being the case we are going to have to try and be fair to be people to ensure that everyone has a good chance of a decent Hainhault(sic) loop Otherwise if 3 teams all bunch at Woodford on the first change that will be most annoying......
Also I think a finish in the West means we are probably nearer the pub....Although initially I have to get to Epping from Hatton Cross....

Once we have the confirmed snake route we can agree on a starting/meeting time and work out at what intervals we need to leave at to make this as fair as possible.....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

greatkingrat wrote:My route is Epping - Heathrow. Anthony's route is similar to mine, but with the Z1 section rejigged a bit.
Ouch either way then we are finishing miles from Central London and one of us to travel a long way East :arrow: West or West :arrow: East to start :(

Oki doki well lets see how the final route looks and we can make a 100% decision.... :)
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Because of the T4 loop being one-way it is not possible to start at Heathrow - it has to be Epping -> Heathrow.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

scrxisi wrote:If you do Mile End-Liv St-Moorgate-Bank-Holborn (i.e. adding a little diversion via Moorgate) your route becomes a 126 Antony. So where's the other one?
At Gloucester Road if you take the Circle to HSK and then the district to Earls Court, this becomes a 127.
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

So the new snake definite route is 127.......

Epping - Woodford -Stratford (via Hainault Loop) - London Bridge - Elephant & castle - Waterloo - Stockwell - Victoria - Mile End - Liverpool Street - Moorgate - Bank - Holborn - Kings Cross - Baker Street - Wembley Park - Rayners Lane - Ealing Common - Ealing Broadway - Oxford Circus - Warren Street - Charing Cross - Piccailly Circus - Gloucester Road - HSK - Earls Court - Acton Town - Heathrow T1,2,3 (Via T4) - Heathrow T5.

Therefore I propose an 11:30 start at Epping if that is ok for everyone..... Starting Lots will be drawn and then I would suggest that you have to leave within the next 20 minutes :?:
So first team drawn out must leave by 11:50, 2nd team by 12:10 etc...

Please confirm if you will be attending by adding your name to the list below...

Going Underground
Dr Who
Beer Baron
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

scrxisi wrote:Full day off? Hmm. I'll get back to you...
Can start later if you like, not a problem for me to be honest I reckon it is gonna take me 2 hours Ashford :arrow: Epping anyway........

How long does anyone estimate this will take, I might try and run it through journey planner if I get a few minutes.....
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Yes and 8:30 finish at T5 sounds a bit late assuming we are having the usual post-challenge meet up at The Horse & Groom...... It would be almost 10pm before the last team get back there.... And then off course people have to head back home again, which in my case is almost back to T5 :roll:

It would be nice to have at least a couple of hours chill time...... :)

So I reckon go for the full days hols Matt....you know you want too :wink: :P
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

Presumably you could find somewhere to meet up afterwards closer to LHR?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

jbom1 wrote:Presumably you could find somewhere to meet up afterwards closer to LHR?
Needs to be cheap and have a dartboard, and there is always Ashford Sports Club... 8)

You can get the 555 or 557 from Hatton Cross and then is 10min walk from bus stop.....

Or you can get to Feltham Station from Hatton Cross and then bus or train to Ashford......

This might be better than going back into Central London :?:
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

scrxisi wrote:SOunds like a plan. I'll let you know what my boss says when I have the balls to ask :)
Actually if we all meet at Hatton X after then we can travel to Ashford together... 8)

Make sure you catch him at a good moment..... :wink: