German tube-challenging

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
snudge27
All Zones

German tube-challenging

Post by snudge27 »

Hi all

I'm out here in Berlin until September and am getting a bit of a yearning for running around the U-Bahn.

A long shot I know, but does anyone know where I might come across some like-minded people in the German section of the internet?

Cheers

James
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Re: German tube-challenging

Post by Soup Dragon »

Funnily enough I've been contemplating that we should have a continental challenge amongst challengers on this forum. There are several cities which could provide a decent challenge including the Berlin U-bahn. Other's that could be worth considering are Brussels, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Milan, Munich, Paris, Stockholm, Vienna and of course my favourite the Basel Tram Challenge :)
One day I shall return!
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

I'd like to nominate Prague, for the Czech girls and interesting stations too.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

scrxisi wrote:Air NZ sponsored travel? :)
If only we flew to anywhere in europe other than London! Still, you can get some fairly cheap return flights to various points in Europe, such as Basel for less than £50 return on CheesyJet.
One day I shall return!
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Soup Dragon wrote:
If only we flew to anywhere in europe other than London! Still, you can get some fairly cheap return flights to various points in Europe, such as Basel for less than £50 return on CheesyJet.
Or Berlin for £20 return with Ryanair!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

uefacup81 wrote:
Soup Dragon wrote:
Or Berlin for £20 return with Ryanair!
Das ist sehr gut
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

As far as Berlin is concerned, the network is quite extensive. There are 98 U-Bahn stations in Zone 1 (out of a total of 173); and if you add in the S-Bahn stations, it brings the total to 126.

I think that Berlin and the other larger networks (like Paris) would be good for some international challenging, as the size means that you're not just restricted to a full-network challenge; but also random 15s and suchlike!

This concludes the City of Berlin's outline bid for the inaugural International Tube Challenge Championship :wink:
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

I don't want to even start to think of a route for Paris Metro, I could just about manage travlling on it let alone challenging on it :P
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
perkyperky
Zone 6

Post by perkyperky »

Never, ever fly Ryannair! EasyJet yes! Berlin U+S Bahn is highly recommended, superbly efficient. And Sam, the Paris Metro is also superb. Considering the number of stations, it can still be done in less time than London.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

What is wrong with Ryanair? I use them to get to Eindhoven and have never had any issues with them.
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Dont go to Berlin 5 years ago it was very unfriendly and the bar i went into refused to serve me only my friend could get drinks despite only being 6 people in the dam place.I got very cross with the bar staff and mentioned something about them putting up the wall to stop people going in his bar and stormed out.
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Dont go to Berlin 5 years ago it was very unfriendly and the bar i went into refused to serve me only my friend could get drinks despite only being 6 people in the dam place.I got very cross with the bar staff and mentioned something about them putting up the wall to stop people going in his bar and stormed out.
You can have a bad experience anywhere! This is my fifth time here in Berlin, and I enjoyed the first four times so much that I decided to move here.

There is a known condition called the Berliner Schnauze. Simply put, Berliners are far more forthcoming in their dealings with other people; which can give the impression of them being rude!
perkyperky
Zone 6

Post by perkyperky »

Never had a problem in Berlin. Very friendly people if you behave and make the effort. Most Germans love the English, but not the drunken English!
A beautiful, CLEAN city, unlike London. Ryannair...hmm, you must have been very lucky Sam. I don't know anyone with a good word to say about them. You can also fly with Air Berlin, but will need to change (no direct flights). Book far enough in advance and you can get it cheap, but not usually as cheap as EasyJet. Or you can make an adventure out of it and go Eurostar to Paris and get the CityNightLine (sleeper) from Paris to Berlin. That way you can do Paris Metro and Berlin U bahn, and come back during the day via Brussels and do their Metro too!
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I did an All Lines in Paris once. Can't remember the details, but I seem to remember it taking an age.
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

perkyperky wrote:Never had a problem in Berlin. Very friendly people if you behave and make the effort. Most Germans love the English, but not the drunken English!
A beautiful, CLEAN city, unlike London. Ryannair...hmm, you must have been very lucky Sam. I don't know anyone with a good word to say about them. You can also fly with Air Berlin, but will need to change (no direct flights). Book far enough in advance and you can get it cheap, but not usually as cheap as EasyJet. Or you can make an adventure out of it and go Eurostar to Paris and get the CityNightLine (sleeper) from Paris to Berlin. That way you can do Paris Metro and Berlin U bahn, and come back during the day via Brussels and do their Metro too!
Having had to fly with Ryanair myself recently, I don't really see what all the fuss is about. I got the tickets cheap (even with all the extras they were cheaper than EasyJet etc.,) and the flight was uneventful. Yes you pay through the nose if you want to take extra luggage, but that's really just a penalty for breaking Ryanair's "rules".

Air Berlin (on the other hand) are absolutely amazing. I had the pleasure of flying with them a couple of years back for £50 return and I found the service even better than some "premium" and all-inclusive flights I've had. It's almost business-class at a fraction of the price. If they were still as cheap, they'd be my choice every time.

I took Eurostar/CNL to get over here with all my luggage in September and that was certainly an experience (although that may be skewed thanks to travelling First Class on the Eurostar!). If you've got the time (and the money) to do it, I'd certainly recommend you do it!