Time-stamped photos?

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Time-stamped photos?

Post by michael_churchill »

A question for anyone who's ever officially applied to Guinness World Records...

I see many mentions on this forum of time-stamped photos used as part of the evidence. Does this mean photos with a visible time-stamp on the photo? Has anyone ever used digital photos taken by a phone that would have "Time taken" as part of its meta-data? If it weren't for the issue of GPS not working underground, that meta-data could prove where you were as well!

It has been mentioned that the visible time-stamp could be photoshopped. How many of the stations have a clock display that is visible from the platform, or from a train? I guess many of the "outer" stations may not have a convenient clock that you can photograph.

For the alternative challenges, where the forum community has simpler standards, could I take a Vine video (later posted on-line) that shows both some sort of station identification and a clock (or failing that my running stopwatch) as proof?
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: Time-stamped photos?

Post by tractakid »

Alternative challenges are done on honesty.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

No idea what a Vine video is, but I did have a couple of other thoughts regarding Guinness evidence while I was doing the Bottle Challenge last week.

1) When taking photos of the station sign through a train window, if you're stood directly opposite the sign (not always possible,of course) - there's a good chance of getting your own reflection in the photo as further evidence that it was you who took the picture!

2) Having recently discovered the Guinness requirement to record arrival and departure times as well as taking the photo, and seen discussions on the Forum about the practicality of doing this, particularly on a solo run - how about taking three photos in succession - one at arrival time, one of the sign,and one on departure - then writing the times down on the way to the next station?

As to whether it's possible to photoshop the times, of course it is - but it's also possible to fiddle the times by re-setting the clock on the camera! (not that I am encouraging anyone to do either,of course!)
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
michael_churchill
Zone 6

RJSRdg wrote:No idea what a Vine video is
Join the 21st century, grandad! I'm joking!

Vine is a web service that lets you film 6 second videos on your phone, upload them and link to them on twitter. I figured that it might be possible to get a shot of a roundel or some other station identification and a shot of a station clock in the same video.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

michael_churchill wrote:
RJSRdg wrote:No idea what a Vine video is
Join the 21st century, grandad! I'm joking!

Vine is a web service that lets you film 6 second videos on your phone, upload them and link to them on twitter. I figured that it might be possible to get a shot of a roundel or some other station identification and a shot of a station clock in the same video.
Oh. I thought it was one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMT7ZvBCz-k
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
michael_churchill
Zone 6

RJSRdg wrote: 2) Having recently discovered the Guinness requirement to record arrival and departure times as well as taking the photo, and seen discussions on the Forum about the practicality of doing this, particularly on a solo run - how about taking three photos in succession - one at arrival time, one of the sign,and one on departure - then writing the times down on the way to the next station?
Regarding logging arrival and departure times, I recently found an app for my Pebble smart-watch called Timestamp which records times to a list. So, when you're also trying to take a photo while in a station, it would only take one press of a button on your watch to log the arrival time and another to log the departure time. Then at a convenient time when back in motion you can look at the list and transfer the time to your log-book.

Makes me wonder if there are similar apps for other popular smart-watches.
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Having done a totally solo effort and sometimes with only 10 seconds dwell time you barely have enough time to note arrival time take a photo and be ready for recording departure time.

Also what impact does recording 6 secs of video and the upload have on battery life and data. As this would have to be done over 300 times for the full network challenge.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.